Tuesday, February 10, 2009

week 31

Hungry, tired, uncomfortable, sleeping badly, moody, heartburn, and easily annoyed by dear hubby. Sounds like I am knocked up. Feeling pretty good actually, although did tear up thinking about the morning my water broke with Jude. I figure this is normal, as I am almost at 32 weeks and I am going to think about that, all the while hoping it does not happen again.
Finally decided, well we think we have, on a full name for the baby: Jonah Aaron Longmire. For an agnostic, I sure have a prediliction for bible names. Hey, they are classic and classy.
Anyway, was feeling really good about the name Jonah and then read that crazy octuplet mommy named one of her 14 kids Jonah. I do not to appear to be copying crazy octuplet mommy. While I was initially somewhat obsessed with the fact that these octuplets made it to 31 weeks gestation and seemingly are all doing well, I have sense grown increasingly disturbed and annoyed by the whole story. What the hell kind of doctor would implant 6 embryos, which became 8, into one person. We are not made to have litters. The risks with multiples multiplies exponentially, and as a mother of a singleton preemie, I find it very upsetting that someone would put the lives of several infants at risk, not to mention their mother. It is not like she did not already have children. There are people who would be happy to have 1 healthy child. I guess I am just too much of a pragmatist to be supportive of people having oodles of children. We live in an increasingly crowded world. We have limited and dwindling resources. The world economy is in the shitter. No one person could possibly give adequate attention and care to 14 children under the age of 7, no one. That is my soap-box-of-the-moment.
So, the calendar is counting down to D-day for baby Jonah, hopefully April the 6th will actually find me still knocked up and ready to deliver.

No comments: